Tuesday 24 May 2011

Whitling Away

  It's been a while but I have been busy working on a couple of small benches for the outdoors. They are much like the one I made for our family doctor (see bench here) except these are made from cedar and the seat will be made from slats to allow the rain to pass through. I haven't decided on a finish as of yet, maybe a semi transparent stain covered with varnish or just marine varnish alone, or possibly one of each.


My bench has looked this way for a couple of weeks. Some busy days

I have also been mucking around with an idea my daughter Alex gave me. She was wondering if I could make a stand for her to hold her numerous pairs of sunglasses. I made a rough, really rough prototype to see how the glasses would hang on her design.


This way or......


That way
Maple, walnut, cherry or oak. If I can't decide there may be four different version by the time I'm done. The stand should be able to hold about 4 pairs of glasses. I'll use bent lamination or take the chance to try some steam bending on the upright parts just for fun. I have a kettle ready to go and just picked up a temperature gauge for the steam box. The steam box will be made from 2" thick extruded styrofoam. We'll see how that works versus the plywood steam box.

thanks for looking
Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment